Easily create a glossary, encyclopedia or dictionary of your terms and show responsive tooltips when users hover over the terms. New 2021 Version!
CM Glossary Tooltip is a WordPress plugin that enables you to check posts or pages for defined glossary terms, by adding links to a glossary term page that contains the definition of the term used.
The CM Tooltip Glossary plugin displays a tooltip containing the definition when users hover over the specific term.
The CM Tooltip Glossary plugin also creates a responsive glossary index with all tooltip glossary terms used.
This tooltip plugin allows users to add unlimited tooltips to a site or within a glossary of terms.
The Pro editions of the tooltip plugin for WordPress include even more powerful features, such as: audio and video tooltips, Wikipedia, Google Translate and Merriam-Webster integrations, terms with abbreviations and variations, multiple glossaries, several index templates and much more.
The CM tooltip glossary plugin integrates easily with external data from dictionaries, thesauruses, and Wikipedia.
Add-Ons & Extensions
(Some might include pro features)
- Dictionary – Creates a dictionary of specifically used terms on your site.
- Tooltip – Adds tooltip as an anchor to predefined terms that are contained in your site.
- Knowledge base – Creates a knowledge base of useful terms and definitions.
- Encyclopaedia – Builds an internal Encyclopaedia for your site.
- Synonyms – Keeps and displays synonyms of terms that you are using
- Lexicon – Builds a lexicon of terms.
- Vocabulary – Builds a vocabulary of custom words and expressions.
- Explanations – Explains the meanings of words in your posts or pages.
- Translate – Translates terms and definitions into any defined language using Google Translate.
- Wikipedia – Add Wikipedia content to your site.
- YouTube – Show YouTube / Vimeo videos once hovering over a term
- Music – Include mp3 voice or music file for each tooltip
- Amazon – Enhance your site with Tooltips including Amazon product recommendation
List of Free Features
- Automatically generates a Glossary index of terms. Example
- Ability to show the A-Z Glossary index as a list or as tiles.
- The Glossary index is limited by 500 terms.
- Each glossary term has its own unique post. Example
- The tooltip window can optionally appear when the term is hovered over by the cursor. Example
- Term pages can be linked directly from posts or pages.
- Several filters to optimize the Tooltip window and limit the length of description displayed.
- Prevents the glossary from parsing text, when needed, by using a Shortcode [glossary_exclude] text [/glossary_exclude].
- Forces the glossary to parse text, when needed, by using a Shortcode [cm_tooltip_parse] text [/cm_tooltip_parse].
- Support Excerpts (if they exist) as a hover-over text that appears in the Tooltip window.
- Control the location and area where the Tooltip appears (pages, posts, homepage)
- Control if the Tooltip should appear more than once.
- Supports UTF-8
List of Pro Features
- Includes all features of the Free Version.
- The Glossary index can show unlimited number of glossary terms.
- Optimized for fast work with large glossaries.
- Ability to show glossary terms in all custom post types.
- Allows to define how many terms to show in the Index page and where to place the pagination navigation.
- Support import and export of terms to and from the glossary using a CSV file format.
- Support import and export of settings to and from the glossary using a CSV file format.
- Customize tooltip style (font, size, colors).
- Allows to display related posts and terms.
- Multisite support.
- Supports using synonyms and variations to each term.
- Mobile friendly.
- Supports changing permalink structure for glossary terms.
- Fully compatible with the WPML plugin.
- Allows to parse the ACF fields with of various(selectable) types.
- Allows to disable creation of the glossary term pages
- (NEW) Allows to display glossary terms as footnotes instead of tooltips
- Over 130 configuration options in total!
List of Pro+ Features
- Includes all features of the Free and Pro Versions.
- Allows to choose one from over 18 templates for the Glossary Index page
- (NEW) Supports the whitelist/blacklist of terms on individual posts and or whole categories
- (NEW) Supports for the alternative meanings for the same term
- Supports adding and displaying a featured image to the terms tooltip.
- Supports customizing the term page template.
- Supports displaying “Share This” widget for sharing terms in social medias.
- Supports Google Translate integration.
- Supports creating and displaying multiple glossary categories.
- Shows a search box in the Glossary page.
- Over 10 helpful shortcodes.
- Supports integration with Merriam-Webster Dictionary and Thesaurus
- Search & Replace engine allows to parse and replace terms on the fly.
- Eastern languages support allows to parse terms without spaces between them.
- Support adding abbreviation to each term.
- Highlights terms in comments section.
- Includes a frontend turn tooltip on/off button.
- Over 240 configuration options in total!
List of Ecommerce Features
- Includes all features of the Free, Pro and Pro+ Versions.
- (NEW) Supports for defining terms in different languages
- Supports adding a custom link to the terms
- Supports embedding audio in a tooltip.
- Supports embedding video in a tooltip.
- Supports Wikipedia and Wiktionary integration.
- Supports creating a multilanguage glossary.
- Supports Amazon Products integration.
- Supports WooCommerce Products integration.
- Supports adding tags to terms.
- Double click support allows to show a definition from an alternative source.
- Allows to parse an image Alt tag to show a tooltip.
- Supports the order in which similar terms are parsed.
- Allows site visitors to embed your terms on their site using an iframe.
- Supports more than one definition for the same term.
- Over 300 configuration options in total!
Code and Style Issues
The alphabetical index for the Glossary index is based on jQuery ListNav Plugin
glossary, tooltip, lexicon, dictionary, knowledgebase, posts, definition, definitions, tooltip, automatic, hints, hint, tip, tool-tip, dictionary, Encyclopaedia, knowledge base, index, keywords, terms, knowledge base, knowledgebase, lexicon, synonyms, plural, singular, descriptions, description, explain, explanation, explanatory dictionary, Tooltips, vocabulary, words, word, expression, expressions, appendix, technical terms, content management, knowledge management, highlight, concordance, language, reference, terminology, jargon, palaver, style, talk, word, wording, thesaurus, word stock, wordbook, wordlist, archive, catalog, directory, index, listing, menu, source, archives, atlas, accent, expression, lingua, slang, bilingual, dialectic, expressed, lexical, literal, term, entry, verbal, verb, literature, book, literature, sourcebook, word list, translate, translation, google translate, merriam-webster, wikipedia, hint, youtube, vimeo, mp3, mp4, ecommerce, tags, amazon, products, products recommendations, recommendations, support, comments, images, page, pages, plugin, post, posts, seo, shortcode, sidebar, social, twitter, widget, widgets, wordpress, video, audio
Suggested Plugins by CreativeMinds
- CM Ad Changer – Manage, Track and Report Advertising Campaigns Across Sites. Can turn your Turn your WP into an Ad Server
- CM Super ToolTip Glossary – Easily creates a Glossary, Encyclopaedia or Dictionary of your website’s terms and shows them as a tooltip in posts and pages when hovering. With many more powerful features.
- CM Download Manager – Allows users to upload, manage, track and support documents or files in a download directory listing database for others to contribute, use and comment upon.
- CM Answers Plugin – A fully-featured WordPress Questions & Answers Plugin that allows you to build multiple discussion forum systems Just like StackOverflow, Yahoo Answers and Quora, Now with MicroPayment and Anonymous posting support!.
- CM MicroPayments – Adds the in-site support for your own “virtual currency”. The purpose of this plugin is to allow in-site transactions without the necessity of processing the external payments each time (quicker & easier). Developers can use it as a platform to integrate with their own plugins.
- CM Restrict Content – A full-featured, powerful membership solution and content restriction plugin for WordPress. Support access by role to content on your site.
- CM OnBoarding – Superb Guidance tool which improves the online experience and
the user satisfaction.
- CM Booking Calendar – Customers can easily schedule appointments and pay for them directly through your website.
- Upload the plugin folder to the /wp-content/plugins/ directory
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Define your glossary terms under the glossary menu item in the administration interface. The title of the page should be the term. The body content should be the definition.
- Creates a main Glossary page (example “Glossary”) with no body content, if you so wish. If you do not create this page then your terms will still be highlighted, but without a central listing page of all your terms.
- In the plugin’s dashboard preferences, enter the main Glossary page’s id (optional as above)
- There are a handful of other optional preferences available in the dashboard.
Note: You must have a call to wp_head() in your template in order for the Tooltip js and css to work properly. If your theme does not support them you will need to link to these files manually in your theme (not recommended).
Does my main glossary page need to be titled “Glossary”?
No. It can be called anything. In fact you don’t even need to have a main Glossary page.
Do I need to manually type in an unordered list of my glossary terms on the Glossary page?
No. Just leave that page blank. The plugin will create an unordered list of terms automatically.
How do I add glossary terms?
Simply add a term under the ‘Glossary’ section in the admnistration interface. Title it the glossary term you want (ex. “WordPress”) and put the term’s definition into the body (ex. “A neato Blogging Platform”).
What if I need to add or change a glossary term?
Just add it and then change it. The links for your glossary terms are added to your page and post content on the fly so your glossary links will always be up to date.
How do I prevent the glossary from parsing a paragraph?
Just wrap the paragraph with [glossary_exclude] paragraph text [/glossary_exclude].
You can use glossaryLink. You can also define glossaryLinkMain if you wish to have a different style in the main glossary page
Contributors & Developers
“CM Tooltip Glossary – Better SEO and UEX for your WP site” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
Release Date: 29th Dec 2022
* Bug: Fixed the warning about the “forceHighlight” variable not being defined
* Bug: Fixed the bug with the underline styles of the parsed terms
Release Date: 17th Dec 2022
* Improvement: Improved the performance of the parsing when the “Highlight first term occurrence” is enabled
* Improvement/debug: Added the option to rename the [glossary] shortcode
* Improved: Added the clarified description of features in all the plugin versions
* Bug: Fixed bug which stopped one of the setting tabs from collapsing
Release Date: 9th Nov 2022
* Replace Internal support links
Release Date: 30th Oct 2022
* Bug: Fixed the issue with tooltips not beign closed on mouse out
Release Date: 20th Oct 2022
* Bug: Fixed the fatal error
Release Date: 20th Oct 2022
- Bug: Fixed the positioning of the tooltip on the keyboard focus
- General bugfixes
Release Date: 6th Sep 2022
- Security fix
Release Date: 22nd May 2022
- Bug fix and compatibility to WP 6
Release Date: Jan 2022
- Fixed bugs
- Improved the builders compatibility (Oxygen builder, Elementor)
Release Date: 31st Aug 2021
- Fixed the issue with the missing aria-label
- Fixed the missing esc for attributes in shortcode
Release Date: 26th July 2021
- Fixed the bug in the comment count
- Fixed the bug in settings
Release Date: 13th July 2021
- Re-added the option to distinguish between case sensitive/case insensitive term search
- Fixed the issue with the text widgets parsing
- Fixed the PHP 8.0.0 bug
Release Date: 9th July 2021
- Fixed the bug in AMP class
- Added the option to hide from search results
Release Date: 25th June 2021
- Improved WCAG compliance
- Fixed the package issue
- Fixed the delay when showing tooltips
For the changelog of earlier versions, please refer to the changelog on cminds.com